St. Joachim School was established in 1927 and has served the greater Madera community since that time. Griffin Hall, which is located a few blocks away from the current location, was used as a parish hall and as a parochial school until 1948 when a new school was built on 4th Street. In 1984 a plan was conceived to replace the classroom buildings, which were not energy efficient and in need of many repairs. Before this process took place, however, a wing that consists of a kindergarten classroom, library, and cafeteria was built in 1989. In 1995 a science lab was added along with administration offices built in 1996. In recent years a gymnasium, social hall, computer lab, and preschool have all been added to serve the needs of the community.
In 2003, the process was begun to update the Master Plan for St. Joachim School and Church. With extensive input from the entire community and the City of Madera, the Master Plan was finally approved. In December 2007 the demolition and construction of first through eighth grade classrooms was completed. The new classrooms are equipped with the technology needed to maintain the high academic standards for which St. Joachim School is noted.
Our school is located across the street from St. Joachim Church, which is served by the Oblates of St. Joseph. As ministry to youth is a particular charism of the Oblates, their support and involvement in the school is especially appreciated. The school is also fortunate to be staffed by the Sisters of the Immaculate Conception who provide an invaluable witness to our students of the vocation to the consecrated life.